Sunday, December 20, 2009

First Jewelry Show!

It may have taken me a week, but I'm finally here to share my experiences of our first attempt at selling my jewelry! Now, I've been making jewelry for years off and on; but this year I decided to invest in some better materials in bigger quantities and really work on my skills as a jewelry artist and make the leap to trying to sell my little designs. I started looking for opportunities to show my work somewhere before the holidays and I found a dance studio in Austin that was having a holiday open house and craft bazaar. I thought the small venue would be a good starting point since they were only expecting 150-200 people to come through and it was only $25 for a table. After I had made the commitment, I spent most of Thursday, Friday and Saturday making jewelry and getting things ready for the show with LOTS of help from my mom. My dad even volunteered to drive us up and help with the set up and tear down. It was truly a family affair! I don't know what I'd do without my parents and family- I'd probably just be wandering around town waiting for someone to take me in and tell me what to do with myself.
Anyhow, since we didn't have a ton of inventory to display, the setup was pretty quick and easy. And right away people began to come over and compliment us on the necklaces, bracelets, earrings and even our props! So that felt really good. You know it's always a little nerve wracking to put yourself out there and open yourself up to criticism- no matter how great your parents say you are. I mean they're supposed to think you're great, right? Either way we had a good time and got some great feedback from the shoppers. Unfortunately I didn't have it together enough to think about taking pictures at the start of the show- I didn't look together enough either- so we only got a couple shots of the table near the end of the show. The display was a little boring, but I have some great ideas for next time.

1 comment:

  1. I thought the display was very nice. Fresh, clean, simple, yet elegant. - like your jewelry.

    ReplyDelete